Lay Observer Monitoring
Lay Observers monitor in line with our eight main expectations to judge how well detainees are treated with respect and decency and how positively their welfare is protected.
- Detainees are transported decently in accordance with their needs.
- Detainees are treated with decency and respect while in custody.
- The welfare and safety of detainees is protected with risk assessments and safeguarding procedures.
- Detainees’ legal rights are respected to ensure decent access to justice
- The welfare and safety of detainees is ensured by being held in a clean environment in which their safety is protected.
- The welfare and safety of detainees is ensured by the effective management of their health care needs.
- Arrangements are in place for ensuring detainees are safely released or transferred, without delay.
- Children and Young Persons (CYPs), females and vulnerable detainees are treated with decency and respect in accordance with their age and vulnerabilities.